Nationwide or regional geospatial data for other countries (excluding Canada) are also available from a wide variety of resources online. This page outlines some frequently-request datasets by continent. Select one of the links below to get access to each dataset. More international datasets can be accessed in the Worldwide section.
North America: United States
- Data.gov (U.S. Federal Government): data from various U.S. government agencies
- U.S. Geospatial and Attribute Links (University of Arkansas Libraries): one-stop web access to U.S. geospatial data
- Libre Map Project: free U.S. digital maps and related GIS data
- State GIS Data Clearinghouses (University of Maryland): a list of state GIS websites
- Selected American GIS Data sites for individual states (American Library Association): a directory of websites with GIS data for every state in the United States
- Geospatial One-Stop: one-stop web access to U.S. federal, state, and local geographic maps and data
- Michigan Geographic Data Library: contains over 60 statewide unique datasets including the state's basemap, aerial imagery geology, hydrology, land ownership, topography, etc.
- City of Detroit GIS Catalogue: the City of Detroit’s open data portal
- Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ): contains several data related to the Michigan state's air, climate change, land, pollution, waste and water.
- Department of Natural Resources: provides a series of maps regarding the Michigan state's forest, wildlife, minerals, fishes, land and recreation etc.
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS): includes USGS Maps, Imagery and Publications; National Hydrography Dataset; The National Map (Orthoimagery, elevation, land cover and bulk data); Global Visualization Viewer (USGS satellite image collections).
- National Atlas of the United States: provides both interactive map interface and downloadable geospatial data for a variety of themes in the United States, including Agriculture, Biology, Boundaries, Climate, Environment, Geology, History, Map Reference, People, Transportation, Water.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: access to soil information and data in the United States
- Atlas of the Biosphere (University of Wisconsin-Madison): contains maps with geographically explicit data broken down into four general categories: human impacts, land use, ecosystems and water resources
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) Maps and GIS Data: GIS data files for BOEMRE Offshore block grids, boundaries, active leases, wells, pipelines, and more
- GeoCommunicator Land Survey Information System: the official federal government website for the distribution of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) data
- NOAA National Weather Service GIS – AWIPS Shapefile Database: ESRI Shapefiles of weather-related data, including political boundaries, hydrography and cities
- NOAA Climate Maps of the United States: downloadable climates maps in Adobe PDF and/or ESRI Shapefiles
- Wind ENergy Data and Information Gateway: browse, query, and display United States wind energy-related spatial data
- United Sates Environmental Protection Agency Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program: covers an important subset of toxic chemicals managed at U.S. facilities.
- U.S. Census Bureau Tiger Products: offers several file types for mapping census geographic data, including Cartographic Boundary Files, TIGER/Line Shapefiles (roads, railroads, rivers) and KML files.
- The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care: provides boundaries of Hospital Service Areas (HSAs) and Hospital Referral Regions (HRRs) for all of the United States as well as select attributes (e.g., Medicare mortality rates, selected medical discharge rate, selected surgical discharge rates etc.)
- National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS): provides aggregate census data and GIS-compatible boundary files for the United States between 1790 and 2010.
- Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SDAC): integration of socioeconomic and Earth science data
- Africover: a digital georeferenced data base on land cover and baseline geographic data for Africa
- Digital Atlas of Namibia: maps and geospatial data for Namibia’s climate, physical geography, living resources, land and population and infrastructure.
- Central Africa Regional Program for the Environment: interactive access to geospatial data for central African nations
- Geospatial Data for Sudan (United Nations Information management Working Group): geospatial data related to settlements and infrastructure covering Sudan and South Sudan
- The Map Library: free Africa vector and raster GIS data
- China Dimensions Data Collection: get access to various geospatial datasets for China including Administrative Boundaries, Fundamental Maps, Population and Public Health, Economics and Public Policy.
- China Historical GIS (Harvard University): a database of populated places, historical place names and historical administrative units for the period of Chinese history between 221 BCE and 1911 CE.
- Atlas of Rural Settlement in England GIS: free access to ESRI Shapefiles and KML files showing the 19th-Century settlement and terrain for England
- London Datastore: Greater London’s open data
- Ordnance Survey Open Data: Ordnance Survey is Great Britain's national mapping agency. Several datasets are available for free download.
- Europe Soil Portal: contains currently many soil data and information; most of the offered data are at European scale, while, when possible, links to national or global datasets are provided.
- European Forest Fire Information System: provides access to some data involving forest fires in Europe. The data available includes fires, hotspots, and fire news.